What is Payhip?
Payhip is an ecommerce platform that is primarily focused on digital products such as digital downloads, online courses and membership sites but does also have the option for selling physical products.
It has been designed to be an easy to use, all in one platform for content creators to be able to sell their products online but is it any good?
Total out of 5
EcommerceGold is reader supported, meaning that we may earn a commission (at no additional cost to you) from products or services purchased through links on our site. Learn More.
Payhip have kept their pricing very simple and offer 3 packages to all users:
5% Transaction Fee
2% Transaction Fee
No Transaction Fee
As you can see from the table above, there is only one difference between the three packages and that is the transaction fee.
Usually, I’m not a fan of transaction fees but it makes sense with Payhip as it adds a lot of flexibility to the platform as the free plan is effectively pay as you go, which is great for new sites and then as you start generating sales, you can then analyse whether or not it is more cost effective to move on to a paid plan.
In addition to this, none of Payhips features are locked behind a paywall and you get access to the same features on all plans.
If you are going to be using Payhip for an online course, you will need to pay an additional $9/m if you want to host your videos directly on Payhip (up to 16 hours worth of video) but if you want to do this for free, you can host them on YouTube, Vimeo or any other video hosting service.
While 16 hours will be more than enough for most courses, it would be nice to see additional options for video such as 32 hours for $18/m.
Before I get full on into my review, I thought I would take a look at what some of Payhips existing customers thought of the platform. For this I look on Trustpilot, Facebook and Google.
4.3 out of 5
Payhip Ecommerce Features
When it comes to features, Payhip splits it over there three most popular product types (digital downloads, online courses and memberships) and unfortunately, there is an overall list of features but below is a summary of what I could find:
- Unlimited Items – list as many items you want on any plan
- Multiple Items Types – sell digital downloads, online courses, memberships and physical products
- Customer Reviews – let customers leave reviews on your products
- Embed – embed a full product listing or buy button on other websites
- Use Your Own Domain – you can use your own custom domain name with any plan
- 5gb limit per file
- Supports different content types, such as eBooks, software & videos
- Instant downloads
- Download limits
- PDF stamping
- Auto-generated keys for Software licences
- Different lesson types such as videos, text, quizzes, assignments, surveys and downloads
- Drip feed content to your students
- Custom pricing such as one-off, subscription, payment plans or even free
- Pre-orders, let customers pre-order your course before launch
- Student accounts
- Commenting system on your lessons
- Free preview, give a taste of your course to potential students
- Sell multiple plans, with exclusive content for members on certain plans
- Share updates and content with your members
- Set custom billing intervals such as weekly, monthly or whatever you want
- Member management, they can manage their own accounts such as changing plans, updating payment details or cancel their membership
- Free trials, let prospective members try it out before committing to a paid plan
Payhip Marketing & SEO Tools
To generate sales on your ecommerce website, you are going to need a selection of tools to not only get customers to your site but also encourage them to buy, so what does Payhip offer?
- Affiliate System – easily allow affiliate partners to not only sign up but also promote your products
- Coupons – offers discounts and special offers in the form of coupons
- Social Discounts – give discounts to customers who tweet and like your posts
- Mailing Lists – easily sync your customers with popular email marketing platforms such as MailChimp and CampaignMonitor
- Blog – create blog posts for content marketing
Unfortunately, Payhip is light on SEO tools for your site and product listings as there are no options to create custom URL’s or add a meta title or description.
Payhip Payment Gateways
Payhip is quite limited on payment options but fortunately, they do offer the two most popular options:
This allows you to take a variety of credit and debit card payments and should be enough for most users.
Payhip Shipping Options
Payhip isn’t only for digital products, they also have the option for physical products and offer a couple of basic shipping options:
- Flat Rate Shipping – a single shipping price for all orders
- Free Shipping
- Order Weight – shipping rate based off the weight of the order
- Order Total – shipping rate based of the total value of the order
Payhip Reporting & Analytics
Payhip comes with a good selection of analytics, including:
- Daily Views
- Daily Sales
- Top 10 Visitor Sources
- Conversion Rate
- Visits Map
One nice little feature is that you can see some product specific analytics in your product overview page, including how many views it has had, number or orders and total sales.
Payhip Theme Selection & Customisation
Payhip doesn’t offer a selection of themes, there is just a default template that can be customized to fit your store.
When it comes to customization, the Payhip editor is a nice and easy to use tool with quite a few customization options, such as:
- Add, remove and reorganise sections of the page
- Layout options for the header and footer
- Edit the layout of all pages including product and blog pages
- Edit theme style including colors, fonts and favicon
- Add custom CSS to store and checkout pages
Support on Payhip is limited to email support, which can be accessed by clicking the icon in the dashboard (looks like a live chat icon) and completing the form and a member of the team aim to get back to you within a few hours.
Outside of contacting the support team, Payhip does have a good amount of support documentation covering many different topics and issues that you may run into.
There isn’t a great deal of information about Payhips hosting environment and below is the only info we could find:
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Unlimited Storage
- Free SSL Certificate
We couldn’t find any info on PCI Compliance or a CDN but they say they have:
“Industry Leading Security, transactions and payment details are encrypted and protected with stringent security measures.”
We also couldn’t do our usual performance testing due to the limited number of customer example sites.
How Easy is Payhip to Use?
Getting Started with Payhip
Getting started with Payhip is very simple as you simply need:
- An Email Address
- Create a Password
- Create a Business Name
- Create a Store Name (for your URL)
And that is it, you will be signed up to Payhip and will be taken through to the dashboard homepage, which includes a short set up guide to help you get your store configured and there are only three steps to this:
- Add a Product
- Setup your Checkout
- Customize Your Store Design
Outside of the set up guide, the dashboard is very easy to use and well laid out. The headings in the top navigation bar are clearly labelled, the only one that stumped me a little was Customers as this is the one that contains all of your order information, which isn’t immediately clear.
Adding New Products
Adding a new product with Payhip comes in two steps, step 1 is to select the type of product you want to sell from the list of:
- Digital Product
- Physical Product
- Coaching Service
- Subscription Billing (membership)
The options and layout of the page will depend on the type of product that you choose to create, for example the digital product and course pages are completely different.
But this is a good thing as different product types require different inputs in order to create them but to give you an idea, the image below shows the page for adding a new digital product.
This page, along with the one for the physical product are simple single page layouts and both are very easy to use and include all of the sections needed to create a complete product listing.
The set up pages for the Courses and Coaching Services are a little more complex as there are more steps to these than the Digital or Physical products, especially the course as it requires setting up the course curriculum, pricing, settings and pages etc.
But overall, none of the products are difficult to set up and even someone completely new to creating any one of these products shouldn’t experience much of an issue.
Organising Your Inventory
Organising your inventory is very simple with Payhip as you can create collections of products but unfortunately, there isn’t an option to create and sub-collections.
One interesting things with the collections is that they have some SEO settings (set custom URL & meta description), this would be very useful for the product pages.
Managing Your Inventory
If you are selling physical products and enable inventory tracking, Payhip does have an Inventory Manager, which allows you to quickly and easily update the stock quantities for your product listings.
Unfortunately, we weren’t able to test the order management out as this requires linking up either PayPal or Stripe and we currently don’t have a test account for either of these gateways.
Is Payhip Any Good?
The simple answer is yes!
Payhip is a really good ecommerce platform for digital products that I have tested and comes with a good set of features, this combined with the ability to sell a variety of different types of products from one platform and that they offer a free plan with all the features, makes it a very attractive offering.
There are a couple of areas where I think Payhip could be improved and one of these is having basic SEO tools on all the product types, more options for buying video storage and more information about the platform such as general features and hosting info on the main Payhip site.
One thing that I think could be a big opportunity for Payhip would be better integration with other platforms, such as WordPress as this could add an option for website owners that isn’t currently available.